KCPanorama2_stitch_sml

Fare clic sull'immagine per scaricare la foto a piena risoluzione (58MB)

 

Il Kamil Crater

Clic on the image above to download the full resolution picture (58 MB)

 

The Kamil Crater

Dopo l’identificazione visuale su Google Earth da parte di Vincenzo de Michele, la necessaria verifica sul posto del Kamil Crater è stata effettuata dai partecipanti alla spedizione del febbraio 2009, tutti appartenenti allo Zerzura Club tranne uno: Massimo Cammelli, Lorenzo De Cola, Vincenzo de Michele, Mario Di Martino, Adriano Furlani, Giancarlo Negro, Romano Serra, Gil Ruozzi e Tommaso Vannini.

Qui il filmato originale (Quicktime, 14MB) del giorno del ritrovamento, 19 febbraio 2009.

La scoperta è stata annunciata ufficialmente dalla pubblicazione online su Science Express il 22 luglio 2010 e dalla stampa su Science Vol 329, Issue 5993, Pages 713-876 il 13 agosto 2010.

covtoc.dp

La scheda del Meteoritical Bulletin Database dello United States Geological Survey, approvata il precedente 12 luglio 2010, fornisce ulteriori dettagli.

La spedizione del 2010 è descritta al sito del Museo Nazionale dell’Antartide.

Un filmato (Quicktime, 9MB) della spedizione gentilmente fornito da Mario di Martino.

Un articolo più approfondito è apparso su Geology, pubblicato online il 5 gennaio 2011 e a stampa nel numero di febbraio 2011, che gli ha dedicato la copertina.

geology.cover

 

Di seguito alcune fotografie scattate sul posto durante le spedizioni.

After the visual identification on Google Earth by Vincenzo de Michele, the necessary on-site verification of the Kamil Crater was undertaken by the participants in the February 2009 expedition, all of them Zerzura Club members except one: Massimo Cammelli, Lorenzo De Cola, Vincenzo de Michele, Mario Di Martino, Adriano Furlani, Giancarlo Negro, Romano Serra, Gil Ruozzi e Tommaso Vannini.

Here the original footage (Quicktime, 14MB) of the day of the find, 19 February 2009.

The discovery was officially announced by online publication on Science Express on 22 July 2010 and on the printed edition on Science Vol 329, Issue 5994, Pages 713-876 on 13 August 2010.

covtoc.dp

The record in the Meteoritical Bulletin Database of the United States Geological Survey, approved on the previous 12 July 2010, gives additional details.

The 2010 expedition is described at the Museo Nazionale dell'Antartide website.

A video clip (Quicktime, 9MB) of the expedition kindly provided by Mario di Martino.

A more in-depth article has appeared on Geology, by online publication on 5 January 2011 and on the printed edition in the February 2011 issue, where it appears on the cover.

geology.cover

Several pictures taken on the spot during the expeditions appear below.

kamil2010-02 032

kamil2010-02 117

kamil2010-02 079-088_stitch

kamil2010-02 120-121-122_stitch

kamil2010-02 126-127-128-129-130-131-132_stitch

kamil2010-02 167-174_stitch

kamil2010-02 856

08a_Pan.DMb

P1060511

P1060471

P1060507

detail4_crater_QB_ 22_OCT_2005_ybk

detail5_crater_QB_ 22_OCT_2005_btn5

detail6_crater_QB_ 22_OCT_2005_lab

Altre fotografie...

 

Nota: il nome 'Kamil' alla vicina collina fu dato dall'esploratore principe Kemal el-Din in onore del padre, Hussein Kamil, Sultano dell'Egitto tra il 1914 ed il 1917. La grafia del nome è sempre 'Kamil' in tutta la cartografia dell'epoca, incluso l'originale di Kemal el-Din pubblicato in francese su La Géographie nel 1928, che legge 'Djebel Kamil'.

John Ball nel Geographical Journal Vol. LXX No.3 del 1927, scrive "Gebel Kamil is a sharply pointed hill of dark sandstone, forming a useful landmark between Terfawi and Owenat. It was visible from the east for more than 40, or from the west for about 20, kilometres. The name was given to it by Prince Kemal el Din in honour of his father, Hussein Kamil, the late Sultan of Egypt."

Nella traslitterazione in uso più recentemente, invece, il nome dovrebbe essere reso come 'Kamel' — come si vede nella foto di apertura, per gentile concessione del team di scopritori e del personale egiziano — ma la tradizione toponomastica richiede l'uso di 'Kamil'.

More pictures...

 

Note: the name 'Kamil' was given to the nearby hill by the explorer Prince Kemal el-Din in honour of his father, Hussein Kamil, Sultan of Egypt between 1914 and 1917. The spelling of the name is always 'Kamil' in the whole cartography of the time, including Kemal el-Din's original, published in French on La Géographie in 1928, where it reads 'Djebel Kamil'.

John Ball in the Geographical Journal Vol. LXX No.3 from 1927, writes "Gebel Kamil is a sharply pointed hill of dark sandstone, forming a useful landmark between Terfawi and Owenat. It was visible from the east for more than 40, or from the west for about 20, kilometres. The name was given to it by Prince Kemal el Din in honour of his father, Hussein Kamil, the late Sultan of Egypt".

In the most recent transliteration, the name should instead be rendered as 'Kamel' as it can be seen in the opening image, through courtesy of the team of discoverers and Egyptian personnel but the toponymical tradition requires the use of 'Kamil'.


© 2010-2011 Giancarlo Negro